John Wayles Eppes
John Wayles Eppes (April 7, 1773 – September 15, 1823) was the nephew of Thomas Jefferson's wife, Martha, and the husband of Jefferson's daughter, Maria. Eppes' political career included terms as both a United States congressman and senator. Eppes received nine titles from Wythe's library as part of Jefferson's dispersement.
Wythe Books Given to Eppes by Thomas Jefferson
The list below was adapted from the "Library of George Wythe" in the Thomas Jefferson Libraries project on the website for Monticello. The titles in blue link to copies in the Wolf Law Library's George Wythe Collection.
|Herodotus. 8.v. 12mo. Foulis|
|Xenophontis historia. 4.v. 8vo. Foulis|
|Polybius. Gr. Lat. 3.v. 8vo.|
|Caesar fol. Foul.|
|Cornelius Nepos. Lat. Eng. by Arrol. 8vo.|
|Homeri Ilias. Gr. 2.v. fol. Foulis|
|Odysseus. Gr. 2.v. fol. Foulis.|
|Horace de Dacier. Lat. Fr. 10.v. 8vo.|
|Ciceronis opera. Lat. 20.v. 16[mo?]. Foulis|
- Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead
- Dabney Carr
- Ellen Wayles Randolph Coolidge
- James Dinsmore
- James Ogilvie
- Jefferson Inventory
- Martha Jefferson Randolph
- Thomas Jefferson Randolph
- Thomas Mann Randolph
- Charles D. Lowery, "Eppes, John Wayles" in American National Biography Online, 1999-. Article published February, 2000, http://www.anb.org/articles/03/03-00161.html. See also John Wayles Eppes in the Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia.
- "Library of George Wythe", Thomas Jefferson Libraries, Monticello, accessed July 2, 2013, http://tjlibraries.monticello.org/transcripts/wythelibrary/2.html. For the manuscript version, see "Inventory of the Books Received by Thomas Jefferson from the Estate of George Wythe, Circa September, 1806", Massachusetts Historical Society, accessed July 2, 2013, http://www.masshist.org/database/doc-viewer.php?item_id=1768.