Zoonomia or The Laws of Organic Life
by Erasmus Darwin
|Zoonomia or The Laws of Organic Life|
at the College of William & Mary.
|Edition||Precise edition unknown|
|Volumes||3 volume set|
Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802), was a doctor, poet, inventor, and botanist, who also provided insights in physics, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and biology. He was a leader in the intellectual communities, such as the Lunar Society, which contributed to many areas including industrialization. Some of his intellectual peers included James Watt, Matthew Boulton, Joseph Priestly, and Josiah Wedgwood. One of his greater achievements was his work in biology, which included his theories on natural selection and evolution. Over a 25 year period, Erasmus came up with one of the first coherent theories of evolution, a full 70 years before his grandson, Charles Darwin, which he published in Zoonomia or the Laws of Organic Life in 1794.
Zoonomia or the Laws of Organic Life is made of forty sections describing different motions, anatomy, and diseases. In this work, Erasmus Darwin classified animal life into classes, orders, genera, and species through comparing them with each other. Through these classifications, Erasmus was hoping to discover more about the theory of diseases. Erasmus wanted to provide better patient care through the betterment of the theory of diseases. At the time this book was published, it was well-received, with one reviewer comparing Erasmus Darwin's contributions to medicine with Sir Isaac Newton's contributions to natural philosophy.
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
- "Erasmus Darwin." Erasmus Darwin House.http://www.erasmusdarwin.org/learning/erasmus-darwin/ (accessed November 8, 2018)
- "Erasmus Darwin."; "Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802)." Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802).http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/Edarwin.html (accessed November 8, 2018).
- "Erasmus Darwin"
- Darwin, Erasmus. Zoonomia or the Laws of Organic Life. (London:J. Hohnson, 1794), v-vi.
- Darwin, Zoonomia or the Laws of Organic Life, 1.
- Darwin, Zoonomia or the Laws of Organic Life,1-3.
- "Erasmus Darwin."