Martha Jefferson Randolph
Martha Jefferson Randolph (September 27, 1772 – October 10, 1836) was the eldest child of Thomas Jefferson, the wife of Thomas Mann Randolph, and the mother of eleven children including Thomas Jefferson Randolph, Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead, and Ellen Wayles Randolph Coolidge. Martha served as unofficial "First Lady" for President Jefferson from 1802-3 and 1805-6. Jefferson gave his daughter one title from Wythe's collection.
Wythe Books Given to Martha Randolph by Thomas Jefferson
The list below was adapted from the "Library of George Wythe" in the Thomas Jefferson Libraries project on the website for Monticello. Links indicate titles owned by the Wolf Law Library as part of the George Wythe Collection.
|Pope's works. 9.v. 8vo.|
- Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead
- Dabney Carr
- Ellen Wayles Randolph Coolidge
- James Dinsmore
- John Wayles Eppes
- Jefferson Inventory
- Last Will and Testament
- James Ogilvie
- Thomas Jefferson Randolph
- Thomas Mann Randolph
- Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia, s.v. "Martha Jefferson Randolph," accessed July 3, 2013.
- "Library of George Wythe," Thomas Jefferson Libraries, Monticello, accessed July 2, 2013. For the manuscript version, see "Inventory of the Books Received by Thomas Jefferson from the Estate of George Wythe, Circa September, 1806," Massachusetts Historical Society, accessed July 2, 2013.