Tēs Kainēs Diathēkēs Hapanta = Novum Testamentum
|Kaines Diathekes Hapanta - Novum Testamentum|
at the College of William & Mary.
|Published||Londini: Ex officinâ Jacobi Tonson & Johannis Watts|
The New Testament part of the Christian Bible was originally written in Koine Greek and is therefore not a translation. However like other living languages, the Greek language has developed over time. Therefore various translations have been completed over the centuries to make it easier for Greek speakers to understand Holy Scripture. Translations of the Old Testament, which is the other part of the Christian Bible, have been completed for similar reasons.
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as "Novum testamentum. Gr. 12mo. Lond. 1730. Tonson" This was one of the titles kept by Thomas Jefferson and later sold to the Library of Congress in 1815. Both the Brown Bibliography and George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing include the 1730 edition published in London based on Millicent Sowerby's entry in Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, but, Jefferson's copy no longer exists. As yet, the Wolf Law Library has been unable to procure a copy of Kainēs Diathēkēs Hapanta.
- George Wythe Room
- The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments
- Jefferson Inventory
- Hē Kainē Diathēkē. Novum Testamentum
- Tes Kaines Diathekes Apanta = Novum Testamentum
- Hē Palaia Diatheke Kata tous Hebdomenkonta = Vetus Testamentum Græcum
- Psaltērion Psalterium
- Wythe's Library
- Natalio Fernandez Marcos, The Septuagint in Context: Introduction to the Greek Versions of the Bible (2000) p 180. The Greek text is published in D. C. Hesseling, Les cinq livres de la Loi (1897).
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433
- LibraryThing, s.v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on January 31, 2014.
- E. Millicent Sowerby, Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, (Washington, D.C.: The Library of Congress, 1952-1959), 2:100 [no.1481]