"Ancestry of George Wythe, LL.D."
George Wythe (1726 – 1806) was the son of Thomas Wythe (III) and Margaret Walker Wythe. Thomas' father, Thomas Wythe (II), was married to Anne Sheppard. Thomas the Second's father, Thomas Wythe, Gentleman (George Wythe's great-grandfather), came to Virginia around 1680, and acquired the land on Back River which would become the family estate, Chesterville.
George Wythe's aunt, Elizabeth Walker, married Stephen Dewey, attorney in Prince George County and, for a time, Wythe's law teacher. Wythe had an older brother, Thomas (IV, died ca. 1755), and older sister, Ann. Ann married Charles Sweeney, and their son, Daniel Sweeney, had a son named George Wythe Sweeney, after his great-uncle.
Article text, July 1893
Ancestry of George Wythe, LL. D.
BY THE EDITOR.
George Wythe was descended from an honorable line of ancestors who had held for generations high position in the County of Elizabeth City. The following represents his descent from the immigrant, Thomas Wythe, gent.
|Thomas Wythe Gent. =||= Anne ——— =||= Capt. Thomas Har-|
|A leading Magistrate of Eliz-
City Co. will pr. 19 Mch,
| wood, J. P. of E. C.|
|1. (?)2 == John Tomer.||2. Anne2 who m.
of E. C. Co., will
pr. in E. C. Co.,
Feb. 11, 1720, son
of Capt. Roger
Mallory of New
Kent or King &
Queen; left issue.
|3. Thomas2 =||= Anne, dau. John Shep- =||= Quintilian Gu-|
Will pr. 18
Sept., 1694, J.
P. of E. C.
|pard, (sister of Baldwin
Sheppard, J. P. of E.
C., will pr. 7ber, 1697.)
| therick, 1st hus-|
in 1690, J. P of
E. C. Co
|Thomas3 who m., in 1719-20,
Margaret, dau. of George
Walker, who m. a daughter
of George Keith, a quaker
minister of E. C. Parish.
|of good fortune who wrote|
|a folio upon mathematical
and other subjects. (Story's
"Diary;" Call's Reports, IV,
d. June 8, 1806
m. Charles Mallory [sic].
- Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography
- History of Hampton and Elizabeth City County Virginia
- Wills and Administrations of Elizabeth City County
- Lyon G. Tyler, "Ancestry of George Wythe, LL. D.," William and Mary College Quarterly 2, no. 1 (July 1893), 69.
- W. Edwin Hemphill, "George Wythe the Colonial Briton," PhD diss., University of Virginia, 1937, 6-12.
- Hemphill, "Colonial Briton," 40.
- Hemphill suggests the Wythe daughter who married John Tomer may have been named "Constance." "Colonial Briton," 8n1.
- Thomas Story, A Journal of the Life of Thomas Story (Newcastle upon Tyne: Isaac Thompson, 1747), 165.
- George Wythe's sister, Anne, married Charles Sweeney, of Sewell's Point, Norfolk Co., Virginia. See Hemphill, "Colonial Briton," 40; and particularly "Sweeney Family, William and Mary College Quarterly 16, no. 4 (April 1908), 238-239.
- Read this article in Google Books.