The Works of Sir William Temple
by Sir William Temple
|The Works of Sir William Temple|
Title page from The Works of Sir William Temple, volume one, George Wythe Collection, Wolf Law Library, College of William & Mary.
|Author||Sir William Temple|
|Published||London: Printed for A. Churchill, T. Goodwin, J. Knapton, R. Smith, B. Tooke|
|Volumes||2 volume set|
|Desc.||Folio (33 cm.)|
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as Temple's works. 2.v. fol. and given by Thomas Jefferson to his son-in-law, Thomas Mann Randolph. Brown's Bibliography lists the 1750 edition based on the copy Jefferson sold to the Library of Congress. George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing indicates "Precise edition unknown. Two-volume editions were published at London in 1720, 1731, 1740, 1745, and 1750." Because we don't know the exact edition Wythe owned, the Wolf Law Library chose to purchase a copy of the first two-volume edition (1720).
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Bound in contemporary leather with design pressed on front boards. Modern leather spine with title and column number gilt embossed. Signed "D. Anderson, St Germains" on the title page of volume one and "David Anderson, St Germains" on the title page of volume two. Purchased from Sequitur Books.
Images of the library's copy of this book are available on Flickr. View the record for this book in William & Mary's online catalog.
- ↑ J. D. Davies, "Temple, Sir William, baronet (1628–1699)" in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, accessed October 9, 2013.
- ↑ Ibid.
- ↑ Encyclopedia Britannica Online, s.v. "Sir William Temple, Baronet," accessed October 8, 2013.
- ↑ Ibid.
- ↑ Sir William Temple, The Works of Sir WIlliam Temple, Bart. (London: Printed for A. Churchill, T. Goodwin, J. Knapton, R. Smith, B. Tooke, 1720), preface.
- ↑ Davies, "Temple, Sir William."
- ↑ Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433.
- ↑ E. Millicent Sowerby, Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, (Washington, D.C.: The Library of Congress, 1952-1959), 1:155 [no.366].
- ↑ LibraryThing, s.v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on October 9, 2013.