Works of Flavius Josephus
First edition translated into English by Sir Roger L'Estrange.
- The Antiquities of the Jews.
- Their Wars with the Romans.
- The Life of Josephus written by Himself.
- His Book Against Apion.
- The Martyrdom of the Macabees.
- Philo's Embassy From the Jews of Alexandria to Caius Caligula.
- To Which are Added, Two Discourses, and Several Remarks and Observations upon Josephus Together with Maps, Sculptures, & Accurate Indexes.
Place in Wythe's Library
Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as Josephus. by Lestrange. fol. and given by Thomas Jefferson to his son-in-law, Thomas Mann Randolph. Later appears on Randolph's 1832 estate inventory as L'Estranges Josephus' ($2.00 value). We do not have enough information to conclusively identify which edition Wythe owned. Multiple folio editions of this translation were published beginning in 1702.
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Contemporary panelled calf rebacked with original spine laid down. Illustrated with 2 fine copper engraved folding maps, and an engraved frontispiece with 4 views and 4 portraits. Purchased from Barnaby Rudge Booksellers.