Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery
by John Tracy Atkyns
The reports are regarded as "a classical repository of equity jurisprudence."
Author: John Tracy Atkyns
Title: Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery, in the Time of Lord Chancellor Hardwicke
Publication Info: London: Printed by H. Woodfall and W. Strahan, 1765.
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Ordered by Wythe from John Norton & Sons in a letter dated May 8, 1770. Records indicate the order was fulfilled. Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as Atkyns's rep. 1st. & 3d.v. fol. and given by Thomas Jefferson to Dabney Carr. The University of Virginia has a copy of this edition with the inscription "Given by Thos. Jefferson to D. Carr 1806" in volume one.  All four of the Wythe Collection sources (Goodwin's pamphlet, Dean's Memo, Brown's Bibliography and George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing) list this edition of this work.
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Bound in contemporary calf with extra-gilt. Purchased from Meyer Boswell Books.
- Frances Norton Mason, ed., John Norton & Sons, Merchants of London and Virginia: Being the Papers from their Counting House for the Years 1750 to 1795 (Richmond, Virginia: Dietz Press, 1937), 133-134. The letter is endorsed "Virga. 7 May 1770 / George Wythe / Recd. 18 June pr Dixon / Goods Entr. pa. 220/ Ansd. the 28th July."
- English Short Title Catalog, http://estc.bl.uk, search of "Treatise of Equity" reveals only one folio edition.
- Mary R. M. Goodwin, The George Wythe House: Its Furniture and Furnishings (Williamsburg, Virginia: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Library, 1958), xlvi. Available at http://research.history.org/DigitalLibrary/View/index.cfm?doc=ResearchReports\RR0216.xml
- Memorandum from Barbara C. Dean, Colonial Williamsburg Found., to Mrs. Stiverson, Colonial Williamsburg Found. (June 16, 1975), 7 (on file at Wolf Law Library, College of William & Mary).
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433
- LibraryThing, s. v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on June 28, 2013, http://www.librarything.com/profile/GeorgeWythe