Cases in Parliament Resolved and Adjudged
by Sir Bartholomew Shower
Author: Sir Bartholomew Shower
Title: Cases in Parliament Resolved and Adjudged, Upon Petitions and Writs of Error.
Publication Info: London: Printed for A. and J. Churchill, 1698.
Edition: First edition.
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Ordered by Wythe from John Norton & Sons in a letter dated May 8, 1770. Records indicate the order was fulfilled. Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as Shower's ca. in parl. and given by Thomas Jefferson to Dabney Carr. We do not know which edition Wythe owned. According to Soule, the first and third editions were folios. Three of the Wythe Collection sources (Goodwin's pamphlet, Brown's Bibliography, and George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing) list the 1740 (third) edition of this work. Dean's Memo, the original source for the Wolf Law Library's collection, notes the 1698 (first) edition.
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Inscribed, "John R. Emery Newark presented by Jas. W. [ ] July 1879".
View this book in William & Mary's online catalog.
- Frances Norton Mason, ed., John Norton & Sons, Merchants of London and Virginia: Being the Papers from their Counting House for the Years 1750 to 1795 (Richmond, Virginia: Dietz Press, 1937), 133-134. The letter is endorsed "Virga. 7 May 1770 / George Wythe / Recd. 18 June pr Dixon / Goods Entr. pa. 220/ Ansd. the 28th July."
- Charles C. Soule, The Lawyer's Reference Manual of Law Books and Citations (Boston: Soule and Bugbee, 1833), 73n1.
- Mary R. M. Goodwin, The George Wythe House: Its Furniture and Furnishings (Williamsburg, Virginia: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Library, 1958), xlvi. Available at http://research.history.org/DigitalLibrary/View/index.cfm?doc=ResearchReports\RR0216.xml
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433
- LibraryThing, s. v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on June 28, 2013, http://www.librarything.com/profile/GeorgeWythe
- Memorandum from Barbara C. Dean, Colonial Williamsburg Found., to Mrs. Stiverson, Colonial Williamsburg Found. (June 16, 1975), 7 (on file at Wolf Law Library, College of William & Mary).