Difference between revisions of "Kaines Diathekes Apanta"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
Latest revision as of 13:33, 4 December 2018
|The Holy Bible, New Testament|
at the College of William & Mary.
|Published||Londini: Impensis R. Knaplock, J. Tonson, & J. Watts|
The New Testament part of the Christian Bible was originally written in Koine Greek and is therefore not a translation. However like other living languages, the Greek language has developed over time. Therefore various translations have been completed over the centuries to make it easier for Greek speakers to understand Holy Scripture. Translations of the Old Testament, which is the other part of the Christian Bible, have been completed for similar reasons.
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
There is no doubt that Wythe owned this title—a copy of the 1728 edition of "Novum testamentum. Gr. 8vo. Lond." at the Library of Congress includes George Wythe's bookplate. Thomas Jefferson also listed "Novum Testamentum" in his inventory of Wythe's Library, noting that he kept the volume himself. He later sold it to the Library of Congress in 1815. Both George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing and the Brown Bibliography list the 1728 edition published in London based on the edition Millicent Sowerby included in Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson,. As yet, the Wolf Law Library has been unable to procure a copy of Kaines Diathekes Apanta.
- The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments
- Jefferson Inventory
- Hē Kainē Diathēkē. Novum Testamentum
- Tēs Kainēs Diathēkēs Hapanta = Novum Testamentum
- Hē Palaia Diatheke Kata tous Hebdomenkonta = Vetus Testamentum Græcum
- Psaltērion Psalterium
- Wythe's Library
- Natalio Fernandez Marcos, The Septuagint in Context: Introduction to the Greek Versions of the Bible (2000) p 180. The Greek text is published in D. C. Hesseling, Les cinq livres de la Loi (1897).
- LibraryThing, s.v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on November 19, 2013.
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433.
- E. Millicent Sowerby, Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, (Washington, D.C.: The Library of Congress, 1952-1959), 2:99 [no.1479].