Travels of Anacharsis the Younger in Greece
by J.J. Barthélemy
|Travels of Anacharsis the Younger in Greece|
Title page from Travels of Anacharsis the Younger in Greece, volume three, George Wythe Collection, Wolf Law Library, College of William & Mary.
|Published||London: G.G. and J. Robinson|
|Volumes||5 volume set|
|Desc.||8vo (22 cm.)|
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as "Anacharsis. Eng. 5.v. 8vo. Eng." Thomas Jefferson gave Wythe's copy to his grandson Thomas Jefferson Randolph. The precise edition owned by Wythe is unknown. English, octavo editions were published in London in 1796 and Dublin in 1795. George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing indicates the London edition as the "[p]robable edition." The Brown Bibliography lists the 1795 Dublin edition based on the existence of a copy of that edition at the University of Virginia with the inscription "T. J. Randolph, Monticello, June 3d 1809, Friday 3d, Edgehill" on the front fly-leaf. This copy also has Thomas Mann Randolph's signature on the front boards of volumes one and two. It has no bookplate or signature definitively linking it to Wythe. Because we do not know the precise edition Wythe owned, the Wolf Law Library purchased an available copy of the 1796 London edition.
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Bound in contemporary, full speckled calf with raised bands and gilt rules to spine. Features gilt lettering on red morocco title labels and black volume labels. Includes a Latin inscription to Daniel Keith on the front flyleaf of volume one. Purchased from Antiquariat Galerie Joy.
View the record for this book in William & Mary's online catalog.
- Louis Delamarre, "Jean-Jacques Barthélemy" in Catholic Encyclopedia (New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907), accessed October 18, 2013.
- August Loehr, "Numismatics" in Catholic Encyclopedia (New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1907), accessed October 18, 2013.
- Encyclopædia Britannica Online, s.v. "Jean-Jacques Barthélemy," accessed October 18, 2013.
- Louis Delamarre, "Jean-Jacques Barthélemy."
- LibraryThing, s.v. "Member: George Wythe," accessed on April 21, 2013.
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433.