Philological Inquiries In Three Parts
by James Harris
|Philological Inquiries In Three Parts|
Title page from Philological Inquiries In Three Parts, two volumes bound as one, George Wythe Collection, Wolf Law Library, College of William & Mary.
|Published||London: Printed for C. Nourse|
|Volumes||2 volumes (3 parts) in 1 volume set|
|Desc.||8vo (23 cm.)|
Evidence for Inclusion in Wythe's Library
Listed in the Jefferson Inventory of Wythe's Library as "Harris's Philological enquiries. 8vo." This was one of the titles kept by Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson later sold a copy to the Library of Congress in 1815, but the volume no longer exists to verify Wythe's prior ownership. Both George Wythe's Library on LibraryThing and the Brown Bibliography list the first (1781) edition (we don't know if there were others). The Wolf Law Library followed their recommendations and purchased a copy of the first edition for the George Wythe Collection.
Description of the Wolf Law Library's copy
Bound in contemporary tree calf with spine divided in gilt compartments with gilt lozenges and lettering. Includes the bookplate of John Cator with the Latin motto "Nihil sine labore" (Without labor, nothing) on the front pastedown. Purchased from Am Here Books.
View this book in William & Mary's online catalog.
- Rosemary Dunhill, “Harris, James (1709–1780)” in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford University Press, 2004- ), accessed October 18, 2013.
- Clive T. Probyn. “Johnson, James Harris, and the Logic of Happiness.” The Modern Language Review , Vol. 73, No. 2 (April 1978), 256-266: Modern Humanities Research Association. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3727099.
- E. Millicent Sowerby, Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 2nd ed. (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1983), 5:40 [no.4697].
- LibraryThing, s. v. "Member: George Wythe", accessed on February 26, 2014.
- Bennie Brown, "The Library of George Wythe of Williamsburg and Richmond," (unpublished manuscript, May, 2012) Microsoft Word file. Earlier edition available at: https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13433